Kin contest army, police version after 3 killed in the Srinagar meeting

A day after Army Police and J&K described the three men killed in a meeting with Srinagar as “terrorists” and “hardcore associates”, respectively, the trio’s families chose holes in the police version and pleaded innocence.

The families, two of whom have members working with the Jammu and Kashmir police, described the statements of two forces as made up and full of gaps. They claimed that the three had nothing to do with the militancy and were killed in an organized meeting. While two were students, aged 22 and 17, the third, a 24-year-old, was a construction worker.

On Wednesday, the three men from southern Kashmir were killed in a meeting with the army on the outskirts of Srinagar at Lawaypora on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway. Police said an AK rifle, two pistols and other incriminating material were recovered from the killer.

Mohammad Maqbool Ganie, the father of Aijaz Ganie killed – one of three men killed in Wednesday’s meeting – who works with Jammu and Kashmir police, told News 18 that there was no evidence to suggest his son was involved in militant activities. .

He said Aijaz had been in complete bed rest for the past 35 days, on the doctor’s advice. He had just left the house because he had serious back problems, he said. “The whole village knew he stayed home. Where was the chance for him to join the militancy if he was lying and locked up at his home, “he asked.

Ganie said his son went to Pulwama College on Tuesday to submit his form. He claimed to have been seen drinking tea at a tea shop in Pulwama at 15:00. “There are eyewitness accounts suggesting he was in Pulwama at 3pm and the Lawaypora meeting started at 5pm. How he got there and took the weapons to the scene. It means that he also enjoys tea and courier weapons “, said Ganie, who is a policeman at the Ganderbal police station.

He said Aijaz spoke by phone twice a day – at 3pm with his sister and around 4pm with his mother. He said he was returning home with a friend, and if it was too late, he would stay home, he remembered.

He rejected police claims that his son was an overground worker. “How can a person become an above-ground worker in an hour or two?” Sure, we’d get an idea if it was him. Or the police could have told us “, said Ganie, adding in this case that there must be a FIR or raids in his house.

He said the family had no idea about Aijaz’s killing until Wednesday morning and was informed by the Rajpora police station that a meeting had taken place in Lawaypora.

“They first asked for a photo with Aijaz and when I asked what happened I was told to visit the police control room. At PCR, I was shocked when I saw my son’s body lying with two other boys, “he added.

“All I want is justice and my son’s dead body,” he said.

Irfan Ahmad Wani, the brother of Zubair Wani, another young man killed, said there was no substance in the police statement that he (Zubair) was involved in the militancy. “He ran a good closing business and would be busy with that.” Irfan and his older brother are cops.

He appeared angry at the police statement, which states that the families did not know about the involvement of their sections in militant activities. “If the police had such information, why didn’t they tell us or arrest us. Or file a file, “he said.

“Zubair’s file is clean. There is no FIR against him. If it had been, the village chief would have been notified. Check with the local police station and they will tell you that there is no case against him. “

Mushtaq Ahmad Wani, the father of 17-year-old Athar Wani, questioned the murder, according to the standard operating procedure, the parents are called to the meeting places to convince their departments to surrender. “It simply came to our notice then. No effort has been made to save them, “he said.

Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has called for the bodies to be handed over to families. “I met the families of the young people killed in the Lawaypora meeting. Forget justice, even their bodies are not returned to them for the last rites. They have lost their beloved sons forever and in the midst of the pain they have to plead even for closure “, she wrote on twitter.

The military and police said they made repeated calls on Tuesday and Wednesday to the trio to lay down their weapons, but instead the trio fired and fired grenades at the troops. “The impression I had was that they did not want to surrender,” HS Sahi, a commanding general officer, told Kilo Force reporters on Wednesday.

He said the trio was plotting to carry out a major terrorist attack in Srinagar for publicity. A police statement at the end of the evening said the three were “strong associates of terrorists.” Police said they would investigate the case and then reach a conclusion on the merits.